Annually, WGNO oversees a city-funded program whereby neighborhood residents can bring a wide array of disposables to a line-up of dumpsters, at Richmond Park, and dispose of them. Almost anything can be discarded as long as it is non-toxic, excluding car batteries, gas-powered items, paint cans, tv's and tires.
In order to participate in Dumpster Day you must be a West Grand Neighborhood resident.
June of 2011 was one of our largest years with almost 90 tons of disposables collected. We are still going strong and in September of 2014 40.81 tons of trash was collected!
If you are needing trash service or other waste disposal right now you have options:
- Get tags from the City of Grand Rapids for bulk items, learn more here: Bulk Items, Yard Waste and Others
- Request trash/recycling service from the city by going to: Request Trash Service
- Lastly, if you have access to a vehicle, Pitsch at 675 Richmond NW also has a transfer station that charges a fee depending on your load size, which you can see at their page along with business hours here: Pitsch Transfer Station
- For a list of places that medical waste, go to: Medication: Prescription and over the counter
- If you have hazardous waste; there are SafeChem events and drop off stations nearby! Check out their page which also has a list of approved materials they will take at: SafeChem - Kent County Department of Public Works
- Gently used clothing/furniture items, you can donate to: City View Church Clothing Closet, Helping Hands Mission Thrift Store, Missions for Bibles Thrift Store, Westside Apostolate, all of which serve individuals on the westside. Please only donate during their donation times or during their business hours when they have staff there or it can be considered Illegal Dumping and you could get a citation. Please NO Trash, if you don't want it because it looks bad, they don't either.
- There are other alternatives too if you need to get trash dumped cheaper, including neighbors going in together to share the cost of renting a dumpster. There are some great companies with reasonable prices for dumpsters, especially if you share the cost with multiple neighbors.