Many steps have been taken to plan the mural so far! Look below to see the effort made so far.
After hearing comments from residents much discussion was had over the course of a few months over what we (WGNO) could do to help facilitate either a maintenance plan or complete redo of the mural with the owners of The Shade Shop, the Westside CID, West Leonard Business Association and the Stockbridge Business Associton. It was decided that asking the community would be the best way to see what the residents and other stakeholders envisioned for it.
- The Shadeshop Inc. wrote a letter to our community asking for input on the mural and it was distributed to many different groups. Additionally, WGNO put out a survey to accompany the letter for residents and posted it for anyone to take. It was shared widely. In the survey we asked three key questions:
1.) Would you like to see the mural redone?
2.) Would you be interested in helping plan it?
3.) Would you be interested in helping to fund the project?
Lastly we asked the community what their thoughts/or ideas on the mural were.
Results of the survey:
We had a number of responses in person, by phone/email and through the survey online. What became clear is that most people who responded wanted to see something new and representative of our diverse community.
- Additionally, due to the excitement over the project we received our first donation from a resident within days of putting up the survey to help fund the project! This is before we had even officially announced a fundraiser!
- WGNO began the task of identifying and trying to get into touch with Speedway in order to receive permission to put equipment on their lot so the work could be done. The project hinges on this approval.
- We began that task of trying to get an artist/artists that could help create a vision for the mural. the goal was to get a local artist.
- First one and then two local artists are teaming up for the project. Nick Nortier and George Eberhardt will be working together to create the mural. We are excited to see what they come up with!
- After seeing input from the community a concept sketch by the artists received approval from those involved with planning the mural.
- A photographer for the project plan was retained.
- After initially asking how they could help with the project, a resident applied for the Neighborhood Fund Match Grant with the help of WGNO to help the mural project become reality. This is truly a community project!
- WGNO officially received an okay from Speedway's Corporate Office to put equipment in their parking lot for a specific amount of time for the project to be completed.
- The resident who applied for the Neighborhood Match Fund was informed that the grant was approved!
- The Shadeshop Inc. applied as a ArtPrize Venue with the help of WGNO to see if they could get a venue grant through ArtPrize.
- Launch of the official West Leonard Mural Fundraiser & webpages.
COMING May 2017
- Community Photo Session - May 6, 2017