Fill A Backpack - School Supply Drive
This effort was the brain child of a Harrison Park parent and resident of the West Grand Neighborhood! Tennille had the vision and took the initiative to apply for a Neighborhood Match Fund and got it with our full support. Hope Network Side by Side reached out to WGNO at the perfect moment and offered their support, along with Brann's Steakhouse and Grill offering to serve as an additional drop off location. It was then up to us as a community to match the goal of $2500 in school supplies, donations and volunteer hours!
It was up to us as a community to match the goal of $2500 in school supplies, donations and volunteer hours!
TOGETHER WE DID IT!
- It took the initiative of One very awesome Harrison Park parent and West Grand resident (Tennille) who came up with the idea and applied for the Neighborhood Matching Grant!
- YOU (The community) came together and matched the grant and then some by:
- Providing least $1,010 in cash donations from residents, parents and businesses!
- Supplying $3,537 in-kind donations also from residents, parents and businesses!
- Over 13 volunteers donated more than 65 hours of their free time to help!
- 3 businesses/organizations participated as drop off locations!
- Over 700 backpacks with school supplies were provided to the Harrison Park School on orientation day! Where the kids were able to write their names on their backpacks and take them home!
Tennille, her family and some of us who volunteered helped to distribute the backpacks at the Harrison Park Orientation.
It was wonderful to see the families out that day!
This project is supported in part by the City of Grand Rapids Neighborhood Match Fund. Learn more about the Neighborhood Match Fund here: Neighborhood Match Fund
Thank you to those who donated, including:
Max & Jan Gibbs B. Zimmerman
The Benedict Family The Harkness Family
H. Bruntijen & Family
The Vandenberg Family
Check out the news story below on the Fill A Backpack - School Supply Drive: